Thursday 3 September 2015

Bye bye babies! :(






So today was the first day of a new school year and I had to send my babies off into the big wide world without me (again!) At the start of the holidays I wondered (like many other parents) how we would get through those long summer weeks. Don't get me wrong, I was looking forward to spending quality time together but, when I was awoken early on that first day off by the sound of bickering, closely followed by 'Muuuuuuuuuum...'(who knew this little word could be dragged out this much?!?!?) followed by: 'he kicked/hit/scratched me', I must confess I was wondering whether I'd make it through!

However, after a few days we all began to unwind from our long school year. Once the children de-stressed  and got their energy back, it turned out that they were really quite lovely (well, most of the time!)  I re-discovered those lovely, sweet, little babies I gave birth to all those years ago!

We had all kinds of fun and frivolity (more about that on a later blog) but we didn't fill everyday with exhausting activity, some days the children asked to stay in their pjs so I obliged (I quite like staying in my pjs all day to be fair!) It's amazing how much fun it can be just to snuggle up and watch DVDs especially with the great British weather being true to form for most of the break!

As we prepared to go back to school in our last days off, it suddenly struck me that I didn't have babies anymore! Joshua is about to turn 7 and Olivia, my baby, is going into Year One!! It's quite scary because, while I was growing up, I always thought I was going to 'have babies' and that would be that. What I didn't realise was just how short a time they are babies for!

So I guess what I am trying to say is that I am so thankful for these holidays, I know not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to spend all the holidays with their children and I am so grateful to have been able to re-connect with them! I am so proud of the people they are becoming and I wish them so much luck in the next step of their journey in life.

Sorry for being soppy! If it helps they were both incredibly grumpy after school and are back to driving me nuts again (but they're still my babies and I did miss them!)

Best wishes to all of you who are sending your babies into the big wide world!

Elizabeth x

PS. NO - this sadness over my babies growing up does not mean I want another one! I am NOT having any more! (before anyone asks lol!!)








No comments :

Post a Comment