Friday 10 March 2017

Our First Family Vlog - The Millet Family

We made a Youtube Video!!



For a while now Joshua, my 8 year old, has been getting into watching vloggers on Youtube (with supervision of course). He especially enjoys watching family vloggers The Sacco-Jolys and how they record their daily lives and the whole family gets involved. Lately I have noticed him using my old iphone to film himself just chatting away about his life!

Then, the other day, he told me he wanted to become a Youtuber for his job! He was asking me if children could be Youtubers and how old you had to be to have a Youtube channel. I told him that, although he was too young to have his own Youtube account, if he really wanted to make videos I could help him and upload them for him. After a lot of chat about it he decided it should be a family vlog that we could all be part of. I must also add that I have been thinking about making videos for some time as it's such an amazing way of documenting all the special moments in our lives that we can look back on and also, as parenting is such a minefield I thought it may help people to hear tips and tricks we have picked up along the way. I am by no means saying that I know it all but as I have worked with children all my life I've dealt with many things!

He really had fun making the clips but I have to say I found I was a bit self-conscious in front of the camera! At the end of the day I had the task of trying to put all our clips into a video. Now, I am really not technical at all. I have a website for my childminding service as well as this Blog but both are really quite simple to use. They have a standard template and it's easy to figure out what to do but I can't make them fancy or add anything extra. As we had recorded clips on two different iphones I figured it would be easiest to transfer both sets of clips to my HP laptop. On it I have Windows Movie Maker and it was fairly straightforward to put the clips onto it and with a little trial and error I figured out how to roughly edit it and add a little text. Although it was fairly easy it took AGES!!

Once it was done I was really in two minds as to whether to upload it to Youtube. It felt like a huge responsibility putting my children and our lives out there for the world to see! There are a lot of lovely people and communities on Youtube but there are also a lot of trolls and I wasn't sure I would be able to handle that. However, Joshua was so determined to have his video on Youtube that I decided to go ahead and hit that Upload button! Who knew that a 7 minute clip would take 3 hours to upload?!?!? Maybe it's time to upgrade to Super-fast Fibre-Optic Broadband!

We really hope you enjoy our first ever Vlog. Please excuse the poor quality - we are learning! There may or may not be more depending on how it is received and how much time we have.

Elizabeth x 

No comments :

Post a Comment